Product Code: HEXPL02-B
Meet at 8:30am for check-in. We leave the capital behind at 8.45am and drive west where we will make our first stop at Linlithgow Palace which is Wentworth Prison in the show. We then visit Doune Castle. Known as one of Scotland’s best preserved medieval castles, it was also used as a setting for Castle Leoch in Outlander. You’ll have time to walk around the exterior of this historic stronghold which also featured as Winterfell in Game of Thrones and Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
Our journey takes us on to the Kingdom of Fife, an area of great historical importance and the ancestral home of Scottish monarchs. We make a stop at Culross, where Claire was accused of witchcraft in the village of ‘Cranesmuir’. This charming village is the most complete example of a 17th and 18th century burgh in Scotland today.
Our lunch stop will be in the village of Falkland, used for filming 1940’s Inverness. With over 28 listed buildings it gives a good representation of this period. Our final stop is at Midhope Castle*, the real-life Lallybroch, (on dates in which Midhope Castle is closed we will go to Blackness Castle - Fort William in Outlander) arriving back in Edinburgh early evening. The drop-off location, where we say our good-byes, is Waterloo Place in central Edinburgh.
- Visit Midhope Castle the real-life Lallybroch*, Doune Castle*, the seat of Clan MacKenzie and Linlithgow Palace used as Wentworth Prison
- Your Guide will give you an insight into the history and stories of each location
- Walking in the footsteps of Jamie and Claire from the hit series Outlander, with a local Scottish Guide regaling all the gruesome history and stories
- Audio Guides available in : Chinese, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese and Italian
- Local Scottish Guide
Know Before You Book
- Doune Castle is currently closed to the public due to structural inspection
- Adults / Students must be over 18 at the time of travel
- Midhope Castle visit will be replaced with a visit to Blackness Castle (Fort William in Outlander)
- Please be advised that children under 5 years old may not take part in the tour
- Students must hold a valid ISIC/ISE/ITIC card
Know Before You Go
- Anyone under 17 must be accompanied by an adult
- The drop-off location is Waterloo Place in central Edinburgh
- Please arrive to check-in 15 minutes before departure
Location & Meeting Points